Monday, June 22, 2015

Standing still is hard

So today I was thinking about motivation. And the fact that I have none.

Well, not none. I have some. But my motivation is like rain in the desert. It comes in spits and spats, and doesn't do much to hydrate the landscape. And when the skies do open, there's nowhere to go with it: my motivation runs before it can walk, so I'm motivated to do huge life-changing things but not the small administrative tasks needed to achieve those goals.

I'm not sure how many others out there do this: chronically bite off more than they can chew. I emigrated twice, and might perhaps do it a third time, but I can't force myself to go to the library to print off CVs. How can that be? I felt frustrated by this, so I started to panic, and when I panicked, it made me anxious. It was a downward spiral.

Part of the problem, I think, is that nobody is willing to live in the moment. Nobody is willing to do something just because they feel like it, and bonus if it helps get things done. I read recently that one of the most beneficial thought exercises to try when you're feeling overwhelmed or unmotivated or guilty for being one or both of those things is to think, "Life is fine." It's to accept the way things are right now, and say to yourself, "Life is okay the way it is. I'm fine."

I think for people like me who internalize everything and panic incessantly about the future, so much so that our fear paralyzes us, can seriously benefit from this. Along with that refusal to accept the way things are comes guilt and self-loathing; feeling like a failure and feeling like life itself is insurmountable.

We won't ever get everything done. Our to-do list will never really be complete. All you can do is your best with what you have. I'm not sure if this advice will help anyone else, but it greatly helped me, to realize that it's okay, and you're doing fine, and stop treating life like you're the greyhound and its the little squirrel thing that they chase along the racetrack. When you worry and stress through life you miss the best things: not the huge obstacles or earth-shattering events but each tiny step along the way. Blue skies or a really good sandwich or when someone tells you their dog's name. These are the small moments that make life amazing, so slow down and enjoy them. Don't loathe your time on earth, or treat it like a job to be done. We're only here once, and for a small speck of time. We must be grateful for what we have.


Mother Nature doesn't want your stress tears on her upholstery.

No comments:

Post a Comment